About 18 months or so ago, I bought a starter pack of procion dyes. It’s been sitting in the cupboard ever since as I don’t really have anywhere to deal with masses of wet fabric or even to leave buckets lying around. However, the Feb issue of Popular Patchwork had an article on snow dying with children by Gillian Cooper….2 days later, we had a proper snowfall!
After a long tramp through the snow with the sledge, I found an old sheet and soaked it in the soda solution. Once ripped in 4, the girls and I managed to find 4 containers and I got busy mixing up potions.
Isabella had fun filling the buckets with snow then had to take half back out! We added a piece of fabric to each then piled the snow back on before we dribbled dye from the pots over it all. Gillian had recommended pull-top water bottles but we made do with disposable cups. Then we left it all outside, for 2 days actually as the next day was busy. Then Isabella and I tipped the snow out, chipped some ice off the frozen fabric and rinsed it well before shoving it in the washing machine with a colour catcher or two. We did try to be patient but it seemed a very long time until the dryer had finished its’ cycle and we were able to shake out the 4 pieces and see what we had: